[gobolinux-users] Re: Java and free software

Bill Burdick bill at mobilereasoning.com
Wed Nov 3 19:43:08 GMT 2004

MJ,

Let's see -- I started using Java commercially in October 1995.  That
means it's been more than 9 years.  I'd say that Sun is hanging at the
mercy of companies and developers that might switch to .NET, not the
other way around.  IBM has had very good support for Java in their VMs
as well.  Not much of a gamble at all from my standpoint and my hands
haven't been tied to my knowledge.  I have a lot of experience using
things that I haven't personally modified (or can't), as I think you do
too.  I don't consider using these things to be a gamble.  For instance
I drive cars but I don't modify them to use a different type of fuel.
Some people do, and that's fine (for those who don't accidentally blow
themselves up), but I don't.

I'm very much in favor of open source (obviously), but I don't agree
that you should ONLY use open source.  My machine here has an Nvidia
driver, by the way.  I like it because it actually provides graphics
acceleration for my desktop, which is hard to find for Linux, and that's
what I use it for.  It's a shame that the driver isn't open source, but
I'll continue to use it anyway;  I don't consider using it to be a gamble.

Here are a few pieces of software that you yourself probably use which
are not open source:

the BIOS in at least some of your computers

the firmware on your modem/cable modem/router

the firmware in your car (if you have one)

the firmware in busses that you ride (if you ride them)

the firmware in the telephone switches that route your phone conversations

the firmware in your cellphone (if you have one)

the Java VM in your cellphone (most modern cell phones run Java now)

the firmware in any microwave ovens which you may have occasion to use

My company produces software, most of which is not open source (some of
it is even patented).  I have personally contributed source code to OSS
projects (Gobo is one that comes to mind) and some of that code is even
my company's code.  I even have a couple projects on sourceforge
(http://ober.sf.net and http://p2pmud.com [
http://sf.net/projects/p2pmud ]).  I don't see a conflict here.  Some
day even you might work for a company that sells non OSS software.  Hey,
brush up on your Java and maybe it will even be my company.

--
	Bill Burdick
	Bill at mobilereasoning.com