[gobolinux-users] Roadmap to 012

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Wed Nov 3 21:00:56 GMT 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 11:19:33AM -0400, Nick Matteo wrote:
> On Thursday 28 October 2004 20:10, Carlo J. Calica wrote:
> > I'm more interested in PAM support.
[...]
> While we're at it, I heard a very interesting presentation at Ohio
> LinuxFest about SELinux.  It seems like an important step forward in
> security.  Has any thought been given to implementing it for Gobo?

I believe some of the SELinux replacement programs such as "login"
require PAM, so PAM would be a first step anyway.

Also, be warned that if you start experimenting with SELinux it will
probably attach extended attributes to any filesystems you mount
read-write, which may make them unmountable under mainline 2.4 kernels.

> (Is anyone else using it other than Fedora?)

Russell Coker has been maintaining SELinux packages for Debian for a
few years:

  http://www.coker.com.au/selinux/

The Hardened Gentoo folks have an SELinux package but I don't know how
far along it is:

  http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/index.xml

There are probably some others.  It's been a while since I've followed
the SELinux mailing list so my information is a bit old.

BTW: if anyone happens to be the Maryland, USA area, I think the
Columbia Area LUG is hosting an SELinux presentation by Tresys
Technology on 10 November.

  http://www.calug.com/  (website seems to be flaky at the moment)
  http://www.tresys.com/selinux/index.html

                                                  -Dave Dodge