[gobolinux-users] Re: Java and free software

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 4 17:12:55 GMT 2004

On 2004-11-04 16:36:20 +0000 Mirza <mirza at seznam.cz> wrote:

> Now, this is everlasting Stallman vs. Torvalds debate

Torvalds produces free software. Not sure what debate you're referring
too.

> [...] Java will NOT be
> pre-installed, only pre-loaded (bundled on same CD) for those who
> wants it
> (to avoid legal problems). [...]

If you are using a free Java system, why not contribute it to the main
distribution?

If you are using Sun Java, you will still need to "agree to defend and
indemnify Sun and its licensors from and against any damages, costs,
liabilities, settlement amounts and/or expenses (including attorneys'
fees) incurred in connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by any
third party that arises or results from the use or distribution of any
and all Programs and/or Software" in order to distribute it at all,
won't you? Installation doesn't seem to change that. Are you going to
indemnify Sun for all those you distribute to?

  Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
  Unsolicited attachments to the pipex address deleted
Will HLF fund tree-killings? http://www.thewalks.co.uk/