[gobolinux-users] Re: Java and free software

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Nov 5 10:35:51 GMT 2004

On 2004-11-05 02:15:16 +0000 mirza <mirza at seznam.cz> wrote:

> Linus uses propriatery sw when it suits his needs better then F/OSS,
> RMS
> hates even idea of using it.

Have you noticed that Linus's action and RMS's opinion are compatible?
I doubt they agree on the weightings for decision, but I don't think
it's as polar as you suggest.

> [...] If someone likes idea of SUN Java SDK with gobo (me), he can
> make fork
> of gobo distro (which is actually great advantage of F/OSS model).

So, you plan to indemnify Sun from those you distribute to? Wow, brave
man.

I still suggest packaging a free software Java system for the main
GoboLinux is the most helpful thing you can do, if you know and want
to promote Java. I've avoided Java for most of the last two years and
it would be better done by someone who actually uses Java.

  Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
  Unsolicited attachments to the pipex address deleted
Will HLF fund tree-killings? http://www.thewalks.co.uk/