[gobolinux-users] Re: Java and free software

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Nov 5 11:33:36 GMT 2004

On 2004-11-05 11:15:50 +0000 Mika Pesu <pmika at japo.fi> wrote:

> Mika Pesu wrote:
>> could you explain to me why you dont consider Sun Java as free
>> software?

By free software, I mean software that gives users the freedom to use
it for any purpose, to study it and adapt it to their needs, to
redistribute it and to distribute changes. Sun Java doesn't give you
that. Worse, it requires all redistributors to "defend and indemnify"
Sun from those distributed to, which deters some (many?) distributions
from including it.

  Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
  Unsolicited attachments to the pipex address deleted
Will HLF fund tree-killings? http://www.thewalks.co.uk/