[gobolinux-users] Roadmap to 012

michael michael at xinomorph.org
Fri Nov 5 17:44:27 GMT 2004

Dave Dodge wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 04:34:47PM -0200, Hisham Muhammad wrote:
>># I think it nvidia always creates this device
>># well, you could just "lsmod | grep nvidia" too
>

> grepping the PCI ID numbers from lspci or /proc/pci is my preferred
> method, but that's only really easy when you already know which
> numbers to look for.

# lspci| grep -i nvidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device
0322 (rev a1)
# scanpci| grep -i nvidia
  nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]

Couldn't be easier (:  The NVidia proprietry driver autodetects the
rest.  Just you'll have to find a list of cards known only to work with
the "nv" driver.  There's plenty of distress calls on the NVidia forums.

However, you may have to watch out if you have an nForce motherboard,
showing up there.  Though since I don't own an nForce I can't confirm
it.  "lspci| grep VGA| grep -i nvidia"  could be an acceptable workaround.

--
Michael "stormy" Farrell: http://ratemyrackmountedserver.com/~michael/
EMAIL: zvpunry at kvabzbecu.bet, fgbezl at xehry.bet  JABBER: fgbezl at xehry.bet
IRC: zvpbybhf at vep.serrabqr.arg, fgbezl at vep.xehry.bet
GoboLinux Victim #01000001. Eat ROT13, spambots! tr A-Za-z N-ZA-Mn-za-m