[gobolinux-users] Re: Java and free software

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Fri Nov 5 21:05:33 GMT 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:46:19AM +0100, Mirza wrote:
> That sounds good. On extra CD with SDK there is enough room for various
> F/OSS java sw like eclipse (+ plugins), netbeans, jboss... I will
> release this CD on my ftp

It would probably be a good idea to include a bunch of Java
applications, because the Sun license essentially prohibits you from
distributing the JDK without them [JDK license B(i), B(ii)].

However the license prohibits you from distributing any competing
implementations of the JDK components.  So be careful which additional
software you include [JDK license B(iii)].

> if it doesn't get any "official gobo" status.

Under a strict reading, it sounds like any Linux distributor that has
Java support enabled in gcc would be barred from including Sun's JDK
in their distribution.

                                                  -Dave Dodge