[gobolinux-users] Roadmap to 012

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Fri Nov 5 21:27:57 GMT 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 04:14:27AM +1030, michael wrote:
> Dave Dodge wrote:
> >grepping the PCI ID numbers from lspci or /proc/pci is my preferred
> >method, but that's only really easy when you already know which
> >numbers to look for.
>
> # lspci| grep -i nvidia
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device
> 0322 (rev a1)
> # scanpci| grep -i nvidia
>  nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
[...]
> However, you may have to watch out if you have an nForce motherboard,
> showing up there.

That's one sort of case I was thinking of.  I haven't tested it but
I'd imagine they do use the same PCI vendor code.  Likewise ATI has
graphics chips and motherboard chips these days.  Intel seems to use
the same vendor code (8086, amusingly enough) on everything of theirs
that I've come across, so I don't see why the others wouldn't.

NVidia is somewhat of a easy case because they have a unified
driver for almost every card.  ATI on the other hand seems to
create new minor variations of their hardware on a weekly basis.

> Though since I don't own an nForce I can't confirm it.
> "lspci| grep VGA| grep -i nvidia"  could be an acceptable workaround.

I believe there's a standardized device class code for video cards, so
that could be used to filter the results.  I'd probably use "lspci -n",
though that would require the script to know the number->vendor mappings.

                                                  -Dave Dodge