[Gobolinux-users] hotplug, usb flash sticks

Jonatan Liljedahl lijon at kymatica.com
Thu Nov 4 00:03:29 GMT 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:58:27 -0700
"Carlo J. Calica" <carlo at calica.com> wrote:

> [ resending on new list. ]
>
> Jonatan Liljedahl wrote:
>
> > I just got a USB flash stick, and now wonders if anyone here has set
> > up Hotplug on Gobolinux with kernel 2.6 for this? The problem is
> > that when I connect the device, the scsi-emulation stuff will give
> > it a new entry in /dev each time, so I can't just put an
> > "USB-Storage" entry in my fstab... But have to look in
> > /var/log/messages (see end of mail) to know what device I should
> > mount... My thought was that I could use hotplug to create a symlink
> > to the assigned dev entry?
> >
> > But the USB-agent's $DEVICE points to an (unmountable) entry in
> > /proc/bus/usb, how can I get to know the dev entry that
> > scsi-emulation assigns it?? And how can I make one script
> > (/etc/hotplug/usb/usbstorage) to be run everytime you (dis)connect
> > an USB-storage device, instead of having to add the mysterious
> > hexadecimal strings that are specific to only one kind of USB flash
> > stick to /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap?
> >

> Are you using udev?  If so, you can use those mysterious strings to
> write rules to make unique nodes in /dev.  For more info look at:
> http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php
>
> Then you can use submount or similar to handle automounting.  I did
> something similar for my HP1000 scanner.

I found a very nice script to put in
/etc/hotplug.d/block/automount.hotplug
Made some gobo-specific changes and made it use submount instead of
supermount if available, works very well! I can just plug my Flash-stick
and it pops up as /Mount/USB/Acer_MP3_Flash, the script creates a
mountpoint using the name of the product! Very nice. Script attached.

BTW, submount seems like a very nice thing, shouldn't you include it in
the distro? What are your thoughts about packages/recipes for kernel
modules?

/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-