[gobolinux-users] New user question (start of many)

Rohan NIcholls rohan.nicholls at myrealbox.com
Tue Nov 9 19:48:47 GMT 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:48:32 -0500
Nick Matteo <kundor at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> On Monday 08 November 2004 14:47, Rohan NIcholls wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> <snip>
> >
> > 2. alsaconf - on both the home machine and this work doesn't find
> > any cards, and yet on slackware 10, the alsaconf finds both cards
> > (maestro3 at home, AC'97 at work) and configures them.  The Kernel
> > loads the necessary modules so it is not that the cards are not
> > activated on some level. I have just looked in
> > /System/Kernel/Devices/sound/dsp, so maybe that is all I need.
> >

> I've had similar problems before.  Try alsamixer -c 1
> I forget how I ultimately resolved these things, I think I messed
> around with the kernel until it worked. :-\

Luckily I discovered that all the oss compatibility stuff is working, so
just using the oss plugin works.  I know the sound is not supposed to be
as good, but some sound is better than none.

> Well, the gui program Manager takes care of that nicely.

Thanks for the tip, started poking around in Depot/Manager and there it
is.  Shouldn't that be in /Programs and should I symlink it?

Btw. Great tool, makes the browsing a lot easier

> I actually plan to build Gobo on my new server this week.  Basically a
>
> standard installation with Apache and all the rest installed.  If I'm
> feeling particularly bold I might try to get SELinux working, I'm not
> sure.

Nice to know.  I am thinking of setting up the home network, and think
gobo would be good practice.

> Indeed, I too had been forming hazy ideas of a better filesystem
> layout when suddenly I discovered Gobo and everything became clear.
> It's a great feeling, isn't it? ;-)

Certainly is.:-D

Thanks for the help,

Rohan