[gobolinux-users] New user question (start of many)

Hisham Muhammad hisham at apple2.com
Tue Nov 9 20:39:36 GMT 2004

On Monday 08 November 2004 17:47, Rohan NIcholls wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am a brand new user of Gobo linux, and am loving it.  In my travels
> a number of questions have come up.
>
> 1. Is there some way to upgrade the whole system?  I tried executing
> UpgradeDistro but:
>
> gobo at pareto42 /Users/rohan]UpgradeSystem
> rm: cannot remove `UpgradeScript': No such file or directory
> --14:46:07--  http://gobolinux.org/upgrade/UpgradeScript
>            => `UpgradeScript'
> Resolving gobolinux.org... 200.192.140.47
> Connecting to gobolinux.org[200.192.140.47]:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
> 14:46:08 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Oh, this was an "undocumented feature" we never got to the point of
implementing. The idea was that, when we get to the point to have something
that upgrades the system automatically, we can post the script and the
existing systems would be already "upgrade-ready".

> chmod: cannot access `UpgradeScript': No such file or directory
> /System/Links/Executables/UpgradeSystem: line 32: ./UpgradeScript: No
> such file or directory
>
> I am going to guess that since much of gobolinux.org (the recipes,
> binary-packages, etc.) are locked down that this is a related problem.
>
> 2. alsaconf - on both the home machine and this work doesn't find any
> cards, and yet on slackware 10, the alsaconf finds both cards (maestro3
> at home, AC'97 at work) and configures them.  The Kernel loads the
> necessary modules so it is not that the cards are not activated on some
> level. I have just looked in /System/Kernel/Devices/sound/dsp, so maybe
> that is all I need.

Well, if you have a dsp device there, it means you're almost there. Silly
question, but never hurts to ask (since it already bit me once): did you
unmute the card using alsamixer?

> 3. Is there somewhere that I can find out what recipes or packages are
> available.  I found /Depot/Manager/cache/RecipeList, is it updated when
> the Scripts package is updated?  I don't think it is, but just want to
> be sure.

The version of Manager in /Depot is very outdated. Pick a more recent one at
the binary package collection. I believe this is the latest one:

http://gobo.calica.com/packages/official/Manager--1.0.0beta4--i686.tar.bz2

> 4. Is anyone using Gobo as a server, is there any advice they have on
> different issues.  I think the gobo as superuser is great.
>
>  I think that is it for now. I have other questions, but wanted to
> register myself as a GoboLinux user.
>
> My intro mail seems to have been lost, so for posterity.  This
> filesystem design has been the answer to a number of my prayers, as the
> crufty *nix setup just makes things so unecessarily confusing, and as I
> have a Mac at home as well as linux, I know there are better ways.
>
> I am really impressed with the whole Compile Install system as well.  It
> is now my distro of choice, and will be for a long time to come as it
> has finally made a truly maintainable linux.  Even slackware was falling
> down in the compile-it-yourself department, despite the excellent
> checkinstall utility.
>
> Thanks again, for all the work the core has done.  In the mail that
> disappeared I mentioned what I should do with a recipe for the
> bubblemon-dockapp.

Thanks for your comments! You should send recipes to Lucas:
lucasvr at gobolinux.org.

-- Hisham