[gobolinux-users] New user question (start of many)

Rohan NIcholls rohan.nicholls at myrealbox.com
Wed Nov 10 00:43:56 GMT 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:39:36 -0200
Hisham Muhammad <hisham at apple2.com> wrote:

> On Monday 08 November 2004 17:47, Rohan NIcholls wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I am a brand new user of Gobo linux, and am loving it.  In my
> > travels a number of questions have come up.
> >
> > 1. Is there some way to upgrade the whole system?  I tried executing
> > UpgradeDistro but:

> Oh, this was an "undocumented feature" we never got to the point of
> implementing. The idea was that, when we get to the point to have
> something that upgrades the system automatically, we can post the
> script and the existing systems would be already "upgrade-ready".

Teach me to be nosy.

> > 2. alsaconf - on both the home machine and this work doesn't find
> > any cards, and yet on slackware 10, the alsaconf finds both cards
> > (maestro3 at home, AC'97 at work) and configures them.  The Kernel
> > loads the necessary modules so it is not that the cards are not
> > activated on some level. I have just looked in
> > /System/Kernel/Devices/sound/dsp, so maybe that is all I need.
>
> Well, if you have a dsp device there, it means you're almost there.
> Silly question, but never hurts to ask (since it already bit me once):
> did you unmute the card using alsamixer?

It is a good one actually.  On slackware there are lots of warnings to
unmute the settings and then save them, but in this instance I can't
even find the alsamixer, trying various card possibilities.  I am
using the oss compatibility and that works just great.

> > 3. Is there somewhere that I can find out what recipes or packages
> > are available.  I found /Depot/Manager/cache/RecipeList, is it
> > updated when the Scripts package is updated?  I don't think it is,
> > but just want to be sure.
>
> The version of Manager in /Depot is very outdated. Pick a more recent
> one at the binary package collection. I believe this is the latest
> one:
>
> http://gobo.calica.com/packages/official/Manager--1.0.0beta4--i686.tar.bz2

Wow, yes much more snazzy than the other one.  Thanks for the tip, I
should have thought of that.

> Thanks for your comments! You should send recipes to Lucas:
> lucasvr at gobolinux.org.

I will do that, I noticed that bubblemon is in the updated list, but
wmfishtime can always be added and anything else I manage to dig up, and
thanks to MJ Ray and you I have a working plt-scheme recipe.

Thanks for the info.

Rohan