[gobolinux-users] Enemy-Territory--2.56--i386

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Nov 10 15:32:47 GMT 2004

Michael,

I don't think you can distribute this very easily. The relevant parts
seem clearly anti-commercial and also hostile to packaging. Here's
what I spotted:

On 2004-11-10 13:56:04 +0000 michael <michael at xinomorph.org> wrote:

> 3.	Prohibitions with Regard to the Software.  You, whether directly
> or
> indirectly, shall not do any of the following acts: [...]
> e.	distribute the Software by any means, except as permitted by
> section 4
> hereinbelow; [...]
> 4. [...] ID grants to you the non-exclusive and limited
> right to: [...] (iv) copy the Software and distribute such copies
> as standalone copies on physical media or in electronic format of the
> Software free of charge for non-commercial purposes and not in
> connection
> with any other material. [...] You shall not
> distribute the Software bundled, co-packaged or together with any
> material.

I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. I'd just avoid this and
let ID do their own work if they're going to be that hostile to
distributors.

Maybe a recipe will work, but you probably ought to show users both a
summary and the full horror of the licence. I don't know how that's
done best.

  Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
  Unsolicited attachments to the pipex address deleted
Will HLF fund tree-killings? http://www.thewalks.co.uk/