[gobolinux-users] New user question (start of many)

Carlo J. Calica carlo at calica.com
Wed Nov 10 22:08:07 GMT 2004

Hisham Muhammad wrote:

>On Monday 08 November 2004 17:47, Rohan NIcholls wrote:
>

>>Hi guys,
>>
>>I am a brand new user of Gobo linux, and am loving it.  In my travels
>>a number of questions have come up.
>>
>>1. Is there some way to upgrade the whole system?  I tried executing
>>UpgradeDistro but:
>>

>Oh, this was an "undocumented feature" we never got to the point of
>implementing. The idea was that, when we get to the point to have something
>that upgrades the system automatically, we can post the script and the
>existing systems would be already "upgrade-ready".

I've been giving this some thought.  Wouldn't it be better to "tie" the
version of the system with the version of Scripts.  We can also use the
"UpgradeDistro" script as documentation for the fs heirarchy.  The
Goboify script that Rafael mentioned could form the basis for this.  A
usage example is moving a 006 system to current.  We've moved a few dirs
around in /System/Kernel, added some in /S/Links.  The UpgradeDistro
script would assert those dirs and move things around.

WRT upgrading software in /Programs to the newest version, that is a
separate issue that can be handled with Freshen and/or Manager