[gobolinux-users] [ANNOUNCE] Freshen 1.99 (a.k.a 2.0a)

Carlo J. Calica carlo at calica.com
Sat Nov 13 06:02:27 GMT 2004

Michael Homer wrote:

> Well, I said I would, and here it is. This is a point releaseto make
> sure there's no bugs before 2.0. It's been basically rewritten from
> scratch, some of the library code's been copied over.
> Added since 1.1:
> - Full binary package support: the display now includes (optionally)
> both recipes and binary packages (distinctly)
> - Upgrading: Freshen -u gcc qt kde xorg will fill in your afternoon ;)
> - Also, Freshen -U gcc qt kde xorg will upgrade your entire system
> EXCEPT those
> - Upgrading uses either recipes, binaries, or both (in either order of
> preference), specified on the command line or in the new Freshen.conf
> - This probably should have gone up there, but network support: it can
> download recipes and data files, determined by the netMode setting
> (offline=never, online=mostly, always=promiscuously, everything it can
> think of. At the moment, that's only recipe files for --info)
> - It now caches the following things:
>   * RecipeList file
>   * BinaryPackageList file
>   * Apache file listing from package store (with filesizes)
>   * /Programs data. This is the biggie, it saves time significantly.
> - The cache timeouts can be set in Freshen.conf, one for the web
> caches and one for /Programs
> - It's about 90-98% faster, since there's less filesystem access
> - As well, it's all more flexible and the display's a lot cleaner
> Recipe at:
> http://gobo.wotfun.com/Freshen-1.99.recipe.tar.bz2
> Package at:
> http://gobo.wotfun.com/Freshen--1.99--i686.tar.bz2
> Go at it, bugs and suggestions welcome.

No recipe tarball.  Testing package, installed with $goboInstall set to
/Network/Programs.  Reset to default settings.  Attempting to run:
calica at office /Programs/Freshen]Freshen
/System/Links/Executables/Freshen:714: undefined method `logError' for
nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
calica at office /Programs/Freshen]Freshen --help
/System/Links/Executables/Freshen:714: undefined method `logError' for
nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)

The Freshen class seems to be throwing an Exception.  Replacing a few
log* routines with print.  A little more digging.  Seems to be looking
for the Config in /Network/Programs/Freshen/Settings.  That should be a
symlink but isn't.  Seems to a be a problem with InstallPackage.