[gobolinux-users] [ANNOUNCE] Freshen 1.99 (a.k.a 2.0a)

Michael Homer dufus at wotfun.com
Sat Nov 13 06:13:49 GMT 2004

Carlo J. Calica wrote:

> Michael Homer wrote:
>
>> Well, I said I would, and here it is. This is a point releaseto make
>> sure there's no bugs before 2.0. It's been basically rewritten from
>> scratch, some of the library code's been copied over.
>> Added since 1.1:
>> - Full binary package support: the display now includes (optionally)
>> both recipes and binary packages (distinctly)
>> - Upgrading: Freshen -u gcc qt kde xorg will fill in your afternoon ;)
>> - Also, Freshen -U gcc qt kde xorg will upgrade your entire system
>> EXCEPT those
>> - Upgrading uses either recipes, binaries, or both (in either order
>> of preference), specified on the command line or in the new Freshen.conf
>> - This probably should have gone up there, but network support: it
>> can download recipes and data files, determined by the netMode
>> setting (offline=never, online=mostly, always=promiscuously,
>> everything it can think of. At the moment, that's only recipe files
>> for --info)
>> - It now caches the following things:
>>   * RecipeList file
>>   * BinaryPackageList file
>>   * Apache file listing from package store (with filesizes)
>>   * /Programs data. This is the biggie, it saves time significantly.
>> - The cache timeouts can be set in Freshen.conf, one for the web
>> caches and one for /Programs
>> - It's about 90-98% faster, since there's less filesystem access
>> - As well, it's all more flexible and the display's a lot cleaner
>> Recipe at:
>> http://gobo.wotfun.com/Freshen-1.99.recipe.tar.bz2
>> Package at:
>> http://gobo.wotfun.com/Freshen--1.99--i686.tar.bz2
>> Go at it, bugs and suggestions welcome.
>

> No recipe tarball.  Testing package, installed with $goboInstall set
> to /Network/Programs.  Reset to default settings.  Attempting to run:
> calica at office /Programs/Freshen]Freshen
> /System/Links/Executables/Freshen:714: undefined method `logError' for
> nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
> calica at office /Programs/Freshen]Freshen --help
> /System/Links/Executables/Freshen:714: undefined method `logError' for
> nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
>
> The Freshen class seems to be throwing an Exception.  Replacing a few
> log* routines with print.  A little more digging.  Seems to be looking
> for the Config in /Network/Programs/Freshen/Settings.  That should be
> a symlink but isn't.  Seems to a be a problem with InstallPackage.

I'm still puzzled that that would happen. If you remove all the rescue *
sections from the bottom of bin/Freshen you'll get Ruby's default
backtrace output. It's not set up to handle anything other than
/Programs at the moment, possibly that's crept in somewhere it shouldn't
be. Take a look at the backtrace and we'll see.

Also, note it's slightly broken with regard to upgrading recipes, it
calls Compile -B instead of -b. Binaries work ok.
-Michael