[gobolinux-users] New user question (start of many)

Michael Homer dufus at wotfun.com
Sun Nov 14 02:03:16 GMT 2004

Andre Detsch wrote:

>[Sorry about the delay in the response. Besides my Internet connection at home
>being almost unusable last days, my @gobolinux.org mail is broken because of
>the recent server change. So, I'm replying based on the web archives.]
>
>Michael Homer wrote:
>

>>My system is at the moment horrendously out of date (88 updates,
>>according to Freshen). The latest is 1.1, yes, and I've just (in the
>>last 20 minutes) gotten the latest Scripts and Compile. Which seem to
>>have changed quite a lot since what I had. Once I've gotten up to speed
>>on those I'll work on getting a new version of Freshen out. Quick
>>summary of the changes since ah May? Particularly with the front-end
>>friendliness and RecipeList.

[snip]

>Overall changes in Compile:
>- Basically the way Recipes are matched and downloaded was restructured. For
>example: in Compile 1.0.X, 'Compile Qt' resulted in downloading the
>RecipeList from site and all recipes of qt through UpdateRecipes. Then, one
>of the recipes was chosen as the latest and compiled. Now, 'FindPackage
>--type=recipe Qt' is called, command that downloads (and caches) the
>RecipesList and returns a url (or a local path, if available) that is used by
>directly by GetRecipe (which was simplified, in order to just download and/or
>decompress and/or place the uncompressed recipe in the right place).

FindPackage very rarely seems to work correctly for me, I'm not entirely
sure why. In any case, most of this is done inside Freshen itself now
(there's not much point having the versioning calculations and the like
done twice). I'll probably have it call GetRecipe with the URL.

>- Compile --no-web (-W) is a simple but usefull option when you are without
>Internet (specially usefull when used after a 'Compile --no-build', that
>already fetches all the needed files)

That'll be useful.

>New features in Scripts package:
>- The FindPackage script is also used to match binary packages (you can check
>'FindPackage --help' to see its features). It is used at InstallPackage
>(enabling more automatic commands like 'InstallPackage qt').

Freshen has to do all these calculations itself anyway for the display,
so it probably won't need to use that.

>- A script that can be useful to Freshen is 'GetAvailable'. This script itself
>is used by FindPackage (and by Manager). Based on the setting contained at
>GetAvailable.conf file, it deals with the RecipesList and BinaryPackageLists
>files (downloading, caching, etc) and prints the list of recipes,
>official_packages, local_packages, contrib_packages and/or tracked_versions.
>Take a look at 'GetAvailable --help'; (Due to the recent changes in our
>servers structure, updating
>the /Programs/Scripts/Settings/Scripts/GetAvailable.conf file is required)

That'll almost certainly be useful.

>- GetInstalled lists the installed programs, marking (with a '*') the Current
>and, if '--detect-unlinked' is passed, it marks (with a 'X') versions that
>have no link inside ${goboLinks}

I don't have a GetInstalled... which package is it in?

>- GuessLatest, now a completely new script (and not a complex script, too),
>but I still recommend using it to encapsulate the discovery of 'what is the
>latest version of a package/recipe'. It has been working quite well, and
>supports things like '2.3 < 2.12', '2.1a4 < 2.1a32', '2.1beta2 < 2.1',
>'2.1beta2 < 2.1rc1' and so on.

Freshen still has to work this out for itself, but I'll try to make sure
they're consistent.

>- The 'Dependencies' script was improved, and now encapsulates much more the
>dependencies checking, avoiding replication of code between Compile and
>InstallPackage.

This is probably something quite important. I'm working on building
dependency trees at the moment (so I can run a sorted list and
everything goes in the right order) and it's turning out more
complicated than you'd think, particularly with binary packages that
need to be downloaded first. The Dependencies script'll be a great help.

>Just noticed that a new email about Freshen at the list. Again sorry about the
>delay in this reply.

No worries, thanks for the advice.
-Michael