[gobolinux-users] New user question (start of many)

Michael Homer dufus at wotfun.com
Mon Nov 15 01:04:47 GMT 2004

Andre Detsch wrote:

>On Sunday 14 November 2004 00:03, Michael Homer wrote:
>

>>FindPackage very rarely seems to work correctly for me, I'm not entirely
>>sure why. In any case, most of this is done inside Freshen itself now
>>(there's not much point having the versioning calculations and the like
>>done twice). I'll probably have it call GetRecipe with the URL.
>>

>Is your 'GetAvailable.conf' file up-to-date (trying to get packages from
>gobo.calica.com or kundor.org instead of gobolinux.org)?
>What goes wrong? Does it never match any program name?

Often, but not always, it will just sit tight and not respond at all for
minutes, other times when it's called from Compile it comes back with
something invalid that Compile chokes on. I suspect the former at least
may be something on my end, but I'm not sure about the other. I upgraded
Python yesterday and it hasn't happened again since then, so it might've
just been a bug in there.

>Btw, now both Compile and InstallPackage support url passing
>e.g.:
>  Compile http://www.gobolinux.org/recipe-store/Bison--1.875--recipe.tar.bz2
>or
>  InstallPackage \
>   http://kundor.org/gobo/packages/official/Bison--1.875--i686.tar.bz2

The second of those will definitely be useful. I think the
recipe-fetching needs to remain separate.

>>>- GetInstalled lists the installed programs, marking (with a '*') the
>>>Current and, if '--detect-unlinked' is passed, it marks (with a 'X')
>>>versions that have no link inside ${goboLinks}
>>>

>>I don't have a GetInstalled... which package is it in?
>>

>I forgot to mention that it is still in 'Manager' package. Btw, if some other
>tool start to use it, I don't see any reason not to moving it to the Scripts
>package, since it is a quite general script.

Ah ok. I'll check that out then.

>>>- The 'Dependencies' script was improved, and now encapsulates much more
>>>the dependencies checking, avoiding replication of code between Compile
>>>and InstallPackage.
>>>

>>This is probably something quite important. I'm working on building
>>dependency trees at the moment (so I can run a sorted list and
>>everything goes in the right order) and it's turning out more
>>complicated than you'd think, particularly with binary packages that
>>need to be downloaded first. The Dependencies script'll be a great help.
>>

>If possible, try to encapsulate this functionality in a separate script. I
>would be very happy in using this installation ordering inside Manager :)
>And feel free to send us patches on the Dependencies script if there are
>additional functionalities that you think should be inside it.

Will do. The only difficulty really is that I need all the packages and
recipes to be present, but it should be possible to work around that in
most cases.
I might have a patch or two to Dependencies at some point as well, I'm
not sure.
-Michael