[gobolinux-users] New user question (start of many)

Andre Detsch detsch at gobolinux.org
Mon Nov 15 13:26:01 GMT 2004

On Sunday 14 November 2004 23:04, Michael Homer wrote:
> >Btw, now both Compile and InstallPackage support url passing
> >e.g.:
> >  Compile
> > http://www.gobolinux.org/recipe-store/Bison--1.875--recipe.tar.bz2 or
> >  InstallPackage \
> >   http://kundor.org/gobo/packages/official/Bison--1.875--i686.tar.bz2
> >

> The second of those will definitely be useful. I think the
> recipe-fetching needs to remain separate.

Additionally, if you want to avoid the use of FindPackage inside Compile, you
can pass directly the local recipe directory to it:
  Compile /Depot/Compile/LocalRecipes/Automake/1.9.3/

> >If possible, try to encapsulate this functionality in a separate script. I
> >would be very happy in using this installation ordering inside Manager :)
> >And feel free to send us patches on the Dependencies script if there are
> >additional functionalities that you think should be inside it.
>
> Will do. The only difficulty really is that I need all the packages and
> recipes to be present, but it should be possible to work around that in
> most cases.
> I might have a patch or two to Dependencies at some point as well, I'm
> not sure.

As soon as I have some time, I will add another file at the
packages/recipes repositories, that can be downloaded instead of
BinaryPackagesList or RecipesList. This file will contain information like
Package name, Versions, size of the packed and unpacked package (for binary
packages) and list of dependencies for each package/recipe. Not sure yet
where the file should be parsed, but maybe inside GetAvailable, with some
access interface for other scripts (but parsing it at other scripts too will
be always possible, of course).
I'm thinking in two options for the format of the file:
- XML
- or simply a something like one line per package/recipe:
PackageName Version UnpackedSize PackedSize [Dependency1,Dependency2....]

If you have any suggestions on this file, please let me know.

In both cases the file will be compacted (bz2), but I don't have an exact idea
of how big (KB) will this file be, and if it is viable to use it instead of
'BinaryPackagesList/RecipesList' in all FindPackage/GetAvailable calls.
Btw, BinaryPackagesList.bz2 and RecipesList.bz2 will be available for download
at the repositories soon. Specially the RecipesList file is becoming really
large (about 34KB right now -> 7KB if bziped).

--
André Detsch