[gobolinux-users] New user question (start of many)

Hisham Muhammad hisham at apple2.com
Mon Nov 15 20:24:03 GMT 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 11:26, Andre Detsch wrote:
> On Sunday 14 November 2004 23:04, Michael Homer wrote:
> > >Btw, now both Compile and InstallPackage support url passing
> > >e.g.:
> > >  Compile
> > > http://www.gobolinux.org/recipe-store/Bison--1.875--recipe.tar.bz2 or
> > >  InstallPackage \
> > >   http://kundor.org/gobo/packages/official/Bison--1.875--i686.tar.bz2
> > >

> > The second of those will definitely be useful. I think the
> > recipe-fetching needs to remain separate.
>
> Additionally, if you want to avoid the use of FindPackage inside Compile,
> you can pass directly the local recipe directory to it:
>   Compile /Depot/Compile/LocalRecipes/Automake/1.9.3/

I already factored this out into a Functions/FetchRecipe module in my
development tree. It now also accepts program URLs and forwards it to
MakeRecipe, which in turn attempts to forward it to NewVersion first. This is
nice for when the user forgets to check and runs MakeRecipe for a program
which already has an existing recipe. Today's snapshot is at
http://www.gobolinux.org/snapshots/ -- caveat emptor: it has known problems.

> As soon as I have some time, I will add another file at the
> packages/recipes repositories, that can be downloaded instead of
> BinaryPackagesList or RecipesList. This file will contain information like
> Package name, Versions, size of the packed and unpacked package (for binary
> packages) and list of dependencies for each package/recipe. Not sure yet
> where the file should be parsed, but maybe inside GetAvailable, with some
> access interface for other scripts (but parsing it at other scripts too
> will be always possible, of course).
> I'm thinking in two options for the format of the file:
> - XML
> - or simply a something like one line per package/recipe:
> PackageName Version UnpackedSize PackedSize [Dependency1,Dependency2....]
>
> If you have any suggestions on this file, please let me know.

My only concern is with added runtime dependencies. For example, if all this
were written in Perl, using XML would require Perl-XML-Parser,
Perl-XML-Writer and whatnot. If Python and Ruby feature XML parsers in their
standard distribution, this is not a problem. Otherwise, it would be nice to
have a format that can be easily parsed with a few lines of code. The
Resources/Dependencies file, of course, should stay in the current
human-friendlier-than-xml format.

> In both cases the file will be compacted (bz2), but I don't have an exact
> idea of how big (KB) will this file be, and if it is viable to use it
> instead of 'BinaryPackagesList/RecipesList' in all FindPackage/GetAvailable
> calls. Btw, BinaryPackagesList.bz2 and RecipesList.bz2 will be available
> for download at the repositories soon. Specially the RecipesList file is
> becoming really large (about 34KB right now -> 7KB if bziped).

Time to think about things like splitting it by first letter? :-)

-- Hisham