[gobolinux-users] Grub having issues

Rohan NIcholls rohan.nicholls at myrealbox.com
Thu Nov 18 13:25:36 GMT 2004

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses to my mail in distress.  I am putting it into
action now, and sorry for my stressed out state.

A few days break from keyboard has done a world of good.

I am wondering if anyone has had this experience with grub and has a
solution. With lilo I just rerun lilo with the new configuration, but
grub seems to work as an interpreter, so I am not sure what to do here.

I, perhaps stupidly, installed grub with the default graphic settings,
and at home with a known card this was not a problem.  At work however I
had to configure the geforce driver, so there was no accurate video
information and now I have no menu, just the command prompt.

I am running into problems trying to get this to work, anything I seem
to be putting into grub-install it is not happy with.

I have been pointing to the disc, using (hd0) and with variations of
System/Kernel/Devices/...  but to no avail.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I have this in /boot/grub/device.map
(fd0)   /dev/floppy/0
(hd0)   /System/Kernel/Devices/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/disc

In System.map-2.6.6-Gobo is an enormous file so I will not attach it,
but it has all sorts of settings like this:

ff77ec63 A __crc_blk_stop_queue
ff8a2cb1 A __crc_blk_queue_make_request
ff963ed8 A __crc_net_srandom
ff9ca065 A __crc_fb_edid_to_monspecs
ffac73fa A __crc_vc_cons
ffd6f456 A __crc_xfrm_find_acq_byseq
ffe1f0cc A __crc_ext2_xattr_get
fff2902e A __crc_find_bus
ffffe000 A VSYSCALL_BASE
ffffe400 A __kernel_vsyscall
ffffe410 A SYSENTER_RETURN
ffffe420 A __kernel_sigreturn
ffffe440 A __kernel_rt_sigreturn

Any help would be most appreciated, it will make startup a lot easier.

Now to that sawfish, librep, rep-gtk meta package.....

Thanks in advance,

Rohan