[gobolinux-users] New user question (start of many)

Carlo J. Calica carlo at calica.com
Fri Nov 26 08:13:48 GMT 2004

Andre Detsch wrote:

>On Sunday 14 November 2004 23:04, Michael Homer wrote:
>

>>>Btw, now both Compile and InstallPackage support url passing
>>>e.g.:
>>> Compile
>>>http://www.gobolinux.org/recipe-store/Bison--1.875--recipe.tar.bz2 or
>>> InstallPackage \
>>>  http://kundor.org/gobo/packages/official/Bison--1.875--i686.tar.bz2
>>>

>>The second of those will definitely be useful. I think the
>>recipe-fetching needs to remain separate.
>>

>Additionally, if you want to avoid the use of FindPackage inside Compile, you
>can pass directly the local recipe directory to it:
>  Compile /Depot/Compile/LocalRecipes/Automake/1.9.3/
>

>>>If possible, try to encapsulate this functionality in a separate script. I
>>>would be very happy in using this installation ordering inside Manager :)
>>>And feel free to send us patches on the Dependencies script if there are
>>>additional functionalities that you think should be inside it.
>>>

>>Will do. The only difficulty really is that I need all the packages and
>>recipes to be present, but it should be possible to work around that in
>>most cases.
>>I might have a patch or two to Dependencies at some point as well, I'm
>>not sure.
>>

>As soon as I have some time, I will add another file at the
>packages/recipes repositories, that can be downloaded instead of
>BinaryPackagesList or RecipesList. This file will contain information like
>Package name, Versions, size of the packed and unpacked package (for binary
>packages) and list of dependencies for each package/recipe. Not sure yet
>where the file should be parsed, but maybe inside GetAvailable, with some
>access interface for other scripts (but parsing it at other scripts too will
>be always possible, of course).
>I'm thinking in two options for the format of the file:
>- XML
>- or simply a something like one line per package/recipe:
>PackageName Version UnpackedSize PackedSize [Dependency1,Dependency2....]
>
>If you have any suggestions on this file, please let me know.

XML is a bit heavy.  YAML is an interesting option.  It has limited sh
support though (does XML?).  You could combine two file format elements
to make something sh friendly.

First start off with [section] breaks.  I described this earlier
regarding the Dependencies file.  Basically something like:
data for all sections
[section1]
section 1 data
multi line
[section2]
section 2 data

Access the file using a grep like syntax.  "cat file | SectionGrep
section1 | ( data sections.)".

Another data format is key value pairs with a delimiter (othen a ":").
Something like:
key1:value1
key2:value2
This should be easy to implement in sh and higher languages.

Combined you can have a very defined and layerd data format.