[gobolinux-users] Alsa muted by default

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Fri Aug 5 15:25:45 GMT 2005

By every boot my soundcard becomes muted and doing some searchs on the net
I found out that this is the correct behaviour for alsa, according to the
alsa developers. I believe that this is a source of much unnecesary grief
and debbuging. I know I compiled my kernel three times, with different
soundcard settings (and drivers), because I couldnt get any sound with
alsa before I got the idea to try the alsa-mixer (and found out that all
channels were muted).

To the point; I found this code while I was doing some searches for
getting sound to work with multiple programs (I'm not useing KDE, so I
dont use aRTs either):

/usr/bin/amixer set Master 50 unmute >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/bin/amixer set PCM 50 unmute >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/bin/amixer set CD 50 unmute >/dev/null 2>&1

Maybe we should include them in some script to save other user some
valuable time.

--
/Jonas