[gobolinux-users] Resources/Environment problems

Jonatan Liljedahl lijon at kymatica.com
Sun Aug 7 10:54:56 GMT 2005

There is a problem with the Environment file, if more than one package
wants to set one variable.
If both uses "export FOO=$FOO:bar" there should be no problem, but the
best would be

[ "$FOO" ] && export FOO=$FOO:bar || export FOO=bar

or something like that. But in reality most of the existing Environment
files just do "export FOO=bar" and so we have a problem.

For example, the Python package sets PYTHONPATH, but then if another
package want to append something to this variable, and it gets sorted
*before* Python's Environment file in /S/L/Environment, it will be
overridden by /S/L/E/Python! I'm sure you all see the problem... (I
recently installed a package which puts python libs in lib/python
instead of lib/python-<version>)

I think we should have a Script function to simplify "add this to that
variable" that does the above.
But I think we should keep the way Environment files are actual
shellscripts that get sources, becouse of the flexibility that may be
needed in some cases.

/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-