[gobolinux-users] Re: GUI administration

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 17:13:51 GMT 2005

On 8/3/05, Peter Clark <mla-gobo at forrussia.org> wrote:
>     Guidance - http://www.simonzone.com/software/guidance/ (PyQt with some
> C++)
>     Guidance is still very much a work in progress, with currently only four
> modules ready: userconfig, serviceconfig, mountconfig, and displayconfig.
> Rumor has it that Kubuntu is looking into using it, however, which would give
> it a boost. Guidance integrates with KControl, but there's an initial load-up
> time of 4-7 seconds. Once any module has been loaded, however, subsequent
> modules load within two seconds.

Looks interesting, and if it's modular enough some of the modules (to
edit /etc/fstab for example) could work unaltered with GoboLinux. If
anybody gives it a try, please give us a review here on the list.

>     I guess my vote would be to go with Guidance. It's incomplete, but since
> it's mostly Python, development should go pretty quick. It's also integrated
> with KControl, which is a natural place to put it...if you use KDE. However,
> for those who don't, then it's not such an ideal solution. However, from my
> experience, people who don't use KDE (or GNOME) are less likely to be
> interested in GUI configuration tools.

We have a portable mini-toolkit which we use in the installer. It's
based in Python and has backends for curses and Qt (but others are of
course welcome (as long as someone is commited to maintain them)).
It's very simplistic and does the bare minimum we need for the
installer, but with some improvements it could become a nice
alternative to development of quick GUI admin tools.

http://www.gobolinux.org/abstk

Hisham