[gobolinux-users] Re: Resources/Environment problems

Jonatan Liljedahl lijon at kymatica.com
Thu Aug 11 19:02:09 GMT 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:25:48 -0300
Hisham Muhammad <hisham.hm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/11/05, André Detsch <detsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/11/05, Hisham Muhammad <hisham.hm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > What do you think about files that looked like:
> > >
> > > Resources/Environment/QTDIR.set
> > > Resources/Environment/KDEDIRS.append
> > > Resources/Environment/TEXINPUTS.prepend
> > >
> > > The "environment cache generator" would only need to be a tiny bit
> > smarter.
> >
> > In order to link the files in /S/L/Environment, we need a naming
> > scheme like the used by now, in order to avoid conflicts (e.g., many
> > programs may have KDEDIRS.append).
> > Prepending the program name--version is ok?
> >
> > /S/L/Environment/KDE-Toys--3.3.0--KDEDIRS.append ->
> > /Programs/KDE-Toys/Current/Resources/Environment/KDEDIRS.append
>
> Looks good to me. Also, testing if Resources/Environment is a file or
> a directory is a good way to test for backward compatibility for a
> while.

Sounds very good, except that I thought the Environment file was a nice
way to have a modular /etc/zshrc =)
i.e. you could use shellcode in them, etc... some cases could need
special intelligence, like "if $FOO is unset, set BAR to this else set
FOO to that".

Another way would be to have script functions to append, prepend or set
a PATH-like variable:

in /Programs/Foo/Current/Resources/Environment:

	prepend FOOPATH $ThisProgram/lib/foo_stuff

/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-