[gobolinux-users] Re: Kernel modules

Jonatan Liljedahl lijon at kymatica.com
Thu Aug 11 19:30:44 GMT 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:12:42 -0300
Hisham Muhammad <hisham.hm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/11/05, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon at kymatica.com> wrote:

> > > Ok, here are some ideas. What do you people think?
> >
> > Sounds good, how about installation of kernel modules when Compiling
> > a Recipe which builds one? Where should they be put? should we patch
> > modprobe? etc... Many programs contains both kernel module and some
> > CLI programs (and docs and whatever), for example FUSE has fuse.ko
> > and bin/fusermount
>
> I think they should just be put under /System/Kernel/Modules/`uname
> -r`. For programs, the binaries and other files are independent of the
> module version. So it could store the module under /S/K/M and the rest
> under /Programs/Fuse as usual.
>
> The connection between them would be done through dependencies. Yes,
> they can get out of sync, but it's easy to verify, and a kernel
> upgrade would require only the new modules to be downloaded, not the
> full programs (if it were the case with some model like
> /Programs/Fuse/1.6-k2.6.12.1/ ).
>
> It will be easy to keep track of the dependencies files because the
> recipes will require explicit commands to allow writing on /S/K/M. In
> other words, we won't miss out kernel modules that are built without
> the recipe builder "noticing" them.

But the original tarballs isn't split like that. How do you tell each
program to only build and install the kernel module, or only build and
install all but the kernel module?

All Recipes are compiled against the current system, I think it should
be the same here. The FUSE recipe would build and install both binaries,
libraries and kernel module. But, when it comes to packaging binary
packages: CreatePackage FUSE would automatically only package the
non-kernel stuff of FUSE, and we should then have a CreateModulePackage
to package the fuse kernel module. And an InstallModulePackage to
install such a package..

/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-