[gobolinux-users] Re: Kernel modules

Carlo Calica ccalica at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 01:32:03 GMT 2005

On 8/11/05, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon at kymatica.com> wrote:
> But the original tarballs isn't split like that. How do you tell each
> program to only build and install the kernel module, or only build and
> install all but the kernel module?

We could have something like this:
Recipes/Foo/1.0/Recipe
Recipes/Foo/1.0/Recipe.kernel

Compile would then handle both.  If you have a custom kernel (or an
old standard), InstallPackage would call Compile to make the
kernel-land.

> All Recipes are compiled against the current system, I think it should
> be the same here. The FUSE recipe would build and install both binaries,
> libraries and kernel module. But, when it comes to packaging binary
> packages: CreatePackage FUSE would automatically only package the
> non-kernel stuff of FUSE, and we should then have a CreateModulePackage
> to package the fuse kernel module. And an InstallModulePackage to
> install such a package..

We will need scripts to package kernel modules for those with custom
kernels.  Hopefully it will be the same that is used to package the
modules for the standard kernel.

One more thing, in order to compile modules, access to the kernel
sources is required.  Is this setup by default or is a "Compile Linux"
needed?

--
Carlo J. Calica