[gobolinux-users] Re: Resources/Environment problems

Carlo Calica ccalica at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 01:53:53 GMT 2005

I think we should make Environment a datafile rather than a "shell
script".  When the Cache file is created, parse the individual files.
We can then create csh, rc, etc Cache files aswell.

Proposed keywords:
append FOOPATH $ThisProgram/lib/foo_stuff
prepend FOOPATH $ThisProgram/lib/foo_stuff
alias FOOCMD cmd

any others?

On 8/11/05, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon at kymatica.com> wrote:
> Isn't Scripts already quite zsh dependant?
>
> My point is that it could be nice if programs could add stuff to your
> shell startup code...
>
> > > Another way would be to have script functions to append, prepend or
> > > set a PATH-like variable:
> > >
> > > in /Programs/Foo/Current/Resources/Environment:
> > >
> > >  prepend FOOPATH $ThisProgram/lib/foo_stuff
> >
> > I don't think this is too different from
> > export FOOPATH=$ThisProgram/lib/foo_stuff:$FOOPATH
>
> Yes it is different, the equivalent would be:
>
> [ "$FOOPATH" ] && export FOOPATH="$FOOPATH:$1" || export FOOPATH="$1"
>
> And I don't think there should be any "set" action, becouse if there is
> a need to override a potentially already existing variable, we still
> don't know in what order the Environment files are executed! (which
> means we don't know what is overriding what...)
>
> > but you raise a valid point: I think it's important to have something
> > like $ThisProgram (to be resolved during cache generation) to abstract
> > the path away from the Environment file.
>
> That would be nice.
>
> /Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-

Carlo J. Calica