[gobolinux-users] Re: Kernel modules

Jonatan Liljedahl lijon at kymatica.com
Fri Aug 12 07:10:13 GMT 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:32:03 -0500
Carlo Calica <ccalica at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/11/05, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon at kymatica.com> wrote:
> > But the original tarballs isn't split like that. How do you tell
> > each program to only build and install the kernel module, or only
> > build and install all but the kernel module?
> >

> We could have something like this:
> Recipes/Foo/1.0/Recipe
> Recipes/Foo/1.0/Recipe.kernel

That would be nice, but I was thinking about the original tarball. Not
every source has a "make kernel-module" or similar target. And even
fewer sources has a "make module-install" or similar, i guess. I see now
that FUSE has
configure options to disable/enable kernel-module, lib, util, example.
So that one is (hopefully) easy.

> Compile would then handle both.  If you have a custom kernel (or an
> old standard), InstallPackage would call Compile to make the
> kernel-land.
>
> > All Recipes are compiled against the current system, I think it
> > should be the same here. The FUSE recipe would build and install
> > both binaries, libraries and kernel module. But, when it comes to
> > packaging binary packages: CreatePackage FUSE would automatically
> > only package the non-kernel stuff of FUSE, and we should then have a
> > CreateModulePackage to package the fuse kernel module. And an
> > InstallModulePackage to install such a package..
> >

> We will need scripts to package kernel modules for those with custom
> kernels.  Hopefully it will be the same that is used to package the
> modules for the standard kernel.

Will modules compiled for a custom kernel work with standard kernels? If
not, I don't think you should put modules for custom kernels in your
package store...

> One more thing, in order to compile modules, access to the kernel
> sources is required.  Is this setup by default or is a "Compile Linux"
> needed?

I don't know how it is in the latest ISO images, but if I remember
correctly, there used to be /Depot/Sources/Linux.tar.bz2 or something
like that.

/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-