[gobolinux-users] Re: Kernel modules

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 17:10:46 GMT 2005

> > 2) A kernel module should be a dependency to a program that needs it
> > Implementation options: 2.1) add support to lines containing "foo.ko"
> > in the Dependencies file; 2.2) add a new file KernelModules under
> > resources.
> >

> I prefer 2.2.  This file should be kept in the recipes Resources as well.

Works for me, then. :)

> > 5) Suggested layout for the kernel module repository:
> > gobolinux.org/kernel-modules/
> > gobolinux.org/kernel-modules/fuse.ko/
> > gobolinux.org/kernel-modules/fuse.ko/BuildInformation
> > gobolinux.org/kernel-modules/fuse.ko/fuse.ko-2.6.12-Gobo.bz2
> >

> Please use double - (ie "--") for the delimiter.

Ok. It became a bit of a trademark for us by now, I guess. :)

On 8/12/05, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon at kymatica.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:32:03 -0500
> Carlo Calica <ccalica at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 8/11/05, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon at kymatica.com> wrote:
> > > But the original tarballs isn't split like that. How do you tell
> > > each program to only build and install the kernel module, or only
> > > build and install all but the kernel module?
> > >

> > We could have something like this:
> > Recipes/Foo/1.0/Recipe
> > Recipes/Foo/1.0/Recipe.kernel
>
> That would be nice, but I was thinking about the original tarball. Not
> every source has a "make kernel-module" or similar target. And even
> fewer sources has a "make module-install" or similar, i guess. I see now
> that FUSE has
> configure options to disable/enable kernel-module, lib, util, example.
> So that one is (hopefully) easy.

Yes, the problem you're pointing out is relevant. I don't think it's
feasible to separate module and application builds in the general
case.

When the user installs a binary package that requires a kernel module
and they are using a custom kernel, they'll have to rebuild the whole
package. Not ideal, but it works.

> > One more thing, in order to compile modules, access to the kernel
> > sources is required.  Is this setup by default or is a "Compile Linux"
> > needed?
>
> I don't know how it is in the latest ISO images, but if I remember
> correctly, there used to be /Depot/Sources/Linux.tar.bz2 or something
> like that.

I don't remember either. But for consistency, maybe we should start
putting kernel sources in /Files/Compile/Sources/linux-`uname -r`
always. In any case, modules should only look for the sources through
the /S/K/M/`uname -r`/build symlink.

It's also possible to isolate the necessary headers and makefiles and
make a special tarball with that only for people who don't want to
spend 200MB(?) in kernel sources.

-- Hisham