[gobolinux-users] Re: Kernel modules

Carlo Calica ccalica at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 19:20:31 GMT 2005

On 8/12/05, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon at kymatica.com> wrote:
> > We could have something like this:
> > Recipes/Foo/1.0/Recipe
> > Recipes/Foo/1.0/Recipe.kernel
>
> That would be nice, but I was thinking about the original tarball. Not
> every source has a "make kernel-module" or similar target. And even
> fewer sources has a "make module-install" or similar, i guess. I see now
> that FUSE has
> configure options to disable/enable kernel-module, lib, util, example.
> So that one is (hopefully) easy.

The main Recipe could do both userland and kernel.  Just need a flag
to specify it does the kernel part as well.  I seem to remember one of
the features of 2.6 was standardizing how out of tree modules build.
If that is the case, building just the kernel module shouldn't be too
difficult.

> > We will need scripts to package kernel modules for those with custom
> > kernels.  Hopefully it will be the same that is used to package the
> > modules for the standard kernel.
>
> Will modules compiled for a custom kernel work with standard kernels? If
> not, I don't think you should put modules for custom kernels in your
> package store...

Providing tools for private internal deployments are still a good idea.

> > One more thing, in order to compile modules, access to the kernel
> > sources is required.  Is this setup by default or is a "Compile Linux"
> > needed?
>
> I don't know how it is in the latest ISO images, but if I remember
> correctly, there used to be /Depot/Sources/Linux.tar.bz2 or something
> like that.

Ok.  Compile will need to be modified to extract the sources as needed.

--
Carlo J. Calica