[gobolinux-users] Re: Problem with CUPS recipe/package

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 16:29:25 GMT 2005

On 8/14/05, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon at kymatica.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 07:04:59 +0200
> kenneth marken <k-marken at online.no> wrote:
>
> > Carlo Calica wrote:
> > > I noticed a problem with CUPS and our selectable superuser name.  My
> > > current install is using "root" but CUPS is compiled to use "gobo".
> > > Editting the recipe and recompiling solves the problem but we need a
> > > general solution.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > woa, the very fact that cups have the superuser name compiled in is
> > insane. why on earth have they not put this bit of code out into a
> > config file?
>
> I thought it were? /S/S/cups/cupsd.conf:
>
> # SystemGroup: the group name for "System" (printer administration)
> # access.  The default varies depending on the operating system, but
> # will be "sys", "system", or "root" (checked for in that order.)
> #
>
> SystemGroup gobo

A more superuser-name-independent way would be to simple use sys. IIRC
we add the superuser to group sys, don't we? (Can't check right now,
I'm typing this from a DebianPPC system undergoing surgery [I'm
bootstrapping GoboLinuxPPC in it ;) ]).

How about --without-cups-user --with-cups-group=sys then?

-- Hisham