[gobolinux-users] Re: Problem with CUPS recipe/package

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:35:08 GMT 2005

On 8/15/05, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon at kymatica.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 00:40:42 -0300
> Lucas Correia Villa Real <lucasvr at gobolinux.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 14 August 2005 13:36, Jonatan Liljedahl wrote:

> > > What does these options do?

> > > I remember I had a lot of problems regarding Variable with CUPS...
> >
> > Actually, I think a lot of recipes are using Variable in a wrong way..
> > I have in my TODO list to check for all recipes available in the store
> > and assert they're downloading, compiling and doing the right thing
> > with Variable.
>
> Exactly what is the right thing to do with Variable?

I think you hit the nail in the head. I'm not satisfied with our
current usage of Variable. It's confusing and doesn't work very well.

Recapping, this is how we defined things to work, IIRC:

- Programs install to /Programs/App/Variable.
- Var-files are copied to /Programs/App/1.0/Resources/Defaults/Variable.
- Then they are moved to /System/Variable
- And are linked back in /Programs/App/Variable so that one can go to
/P/A/V and see what var-files App is using.

We're doing it this crazy way so that the actual var-files will be
under /System/Variable. Reasons: so that can be potentially a separate
partition and to allow sharing.

I see at least two problems with our current approach:

- If /Programs/App/Variable already exists during a compilation,
previously existing contents will get mixed with new files.
- Sharing won't work 100% if some prefixes use /Programs/App/Variable
and that does not expose a full view of /System/Variable.

Here's my not-fully-thought-out proposal:

- Programs install to /Programs/App/1.0/Variable.
- Var-files are copied to /Programs/App/1.0/Resources/Defaults/Variable.
- Var-files are copied to /System/Variable (with some sensible
behavior regarding overwriting)
- /Programs/App/1.0/Variable is removed, and becomes a symlink to
/System/Variable.

Pros:
- Simpler semantics, like a simplified Share.
- /System/Variable can still be a separate partition
Cons:
- No package management for files under /System/Variable. I really
don't think it is necessary, because those files are site-specific (a
bit like tmp-files, they're "local state" files). We should be able to
deploy var-files, but I don't think we need to manage them the same
way we do for executables, libraries, headers, etc.

What do you people think?

-- Hisham