[gobolinux-users] Re: Problem with CUPS recipe/package

Jonatan Liljedahl lijon at kymatica.com
Mon Aug 15 21:29:37 GMT 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:48:26 -0300
Hisham Muhammad <hisham.hm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Here's my not-fully-thought-out proposal:
> > >
> > > - Programs install to /Programs/App/1.0/Variable.
> > > - Var-files are copied to
> > > /Programs/App/1.0/Resources/Defaults/Variable.- Var-files are
> > > copied to /System/Variable (with some sensible behavior regarding
> > > overwriting)- /Programs/App/1.0/Variable is removed, and becomes a
> > > symlink to/System/Variable.
> > >
> > > Pros:
> > > - Simpler semantics, like a simplified Share.
> > > - /System/Variable can still be a separate partition
> > > Cons:
> > > - No package management for files under /System/Variable. I really
> > > don't think it is necessary, because those files are site-specific
> > > (a bit like tmp-files, they're "local state" files). We should be
> > > able to deploy var-files, but I don't think we need to manage them
> > > the same way we do for executables, libraries, headers, etc.
> > >
> > > What do you people think?
> >
> > I think it sounds very good. But it will be a lot of work to fix all
> > packages and recipes, won't it? =)
>
> Not as hard as the pain I'm going through trying to compile Glibc with
> NPTL using GCC 4 on PowerPC... ;)

Can I be looking forward to a GoboPPC release? I have a couple of
friends that sticks with non-gobo solutions (one of them not even linux)
on their mac's just becouse there's no GoboLinux for their machines.

> I mean, we have a problem in our hands -- yes, it will be a pain to
> change things again, but as I see it, we need to fix it.

That's the spirit. Viva la gobo! =)
And there's always scripts... But we must handle the (temporary)
backwards compatibility problem. There could be a script trying to fix
the installed packages in some way?

/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-