[gobolinux-users] Listener 1.1

Jonatan Liljedahl lijon at kymatica.com
Mon Aug 15 21:46:47 GMT 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:29:56 +0200
kenneth marken <k-marken at online.no> wrote:

> >>Please note that since it relies on inotify, a patched kernel is
> >still>needed. For now, "Compile Linux" will bring you to a fresh
> >>inotify-capable 2.6 kernel.
> >

> > Could this feature be used to not move the package at all? I'm
> > thinking of a way to implement a cd-burn filesystem similar to the
> > one in the latest MacOSX.. I.e create a burn-folder, drop your files
> > there, and click a button to burn the folder to CD or an ISO image.
> > But I don't want to copy any data. I was thinking of FUSE, but
> > there's no way to know the source path when doing cp or mv since
> > they're not actual filesystem actions but is implemented with writes
> > and reads... ln would work, though...
> >

> seems like what your talking about is a virtual folder, holding a
> refrence to the files dropped onto it. then when the burn triggerd the
> refrences are read and turned into a iso and then burned.

Yes, exactly like that! Do you know if any such project for linux
exists?
FUSE would work, but that would require the user to always link files
into the virtual folder. moving or copying would result in permission
denied. But OTOH, maybe that's OK since it reminds the user of the fact
that the files isn't actually copied or moved there... And I don't think
there's any way for a filesystem to know the source files paths, is
there?

/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-