[gobolinux-users] GoboLinux PowerPC

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 23:17:40 GMT 2005

Jonatan wrote:
> Can I be looking forward to a GoboPPC release? I have a couple of
> friends that sticks with non-gobo solutions (one of them not even linux)
> on their mac's just becouse there's no GoboLinux for their machines.

Yes. I've been working hard on this for the last few days. I've got
most of the basics built (55 packages done at this moment). GCC and
development friends are done. Yesterday I got a working kernel built.
Glibc is the last remaining "delicate" component. I'm watching its
compilation scroll in the screen beside me -- I've given up using GCC
4 on it (for now) and I'm building it with GCC 3 from Debian Sarge
(believe me, I reeeally tried to get NPTL working, including compiling
a Glibc prerelease snapshot with a GCC prelease snapshot compiler).

Once I'm done with Glibc, I'll move to higher-level components; Xorg
and friends.   After that, the remaining step will be figuring out how
to burn a Mac-compatible bootable CD (I have no freakin' idea, and I
confess I'm not very inclined to work on that part). Anyway, as soon
as I have a set of workable set of packages [that can stand on their
own without Debian's help :) ], I'll upload them so that interested
people can tinker with it even before we have a nice ISO image.

A quick poll: is there interest among list members for a PPC version
of GoboLinux? Is anybody willing to help? :-)

-- Hisham