[gobolinux-users] Re: Problem with CUPS recipe/package

Carlo Calica ccalica at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 03:06:19 GMT 2005

On 8/15/05, Hisham Muhammad <hisham.hm at gmail.com> wrote:
> We're doing it this crazy way so that the actual var-files will be
> under /System/Variable. Reasons: so that can be potentially a separate
> partition and to allow sharing.
>
> I see at least two problems with our current approach:
>
> - If /Programs/App/Variable already exists during a compilation,
> previously existing contents will get mixed with new files.
> - Sharing won't work 100% if some prefixes use /Programs/App/Variable
> and that does not expose a full view of /System/Variable.
>
> Here's my not-fully-thought-out proposal:
>
> - Programs install to /Programs/App/1.0/Variable.
> - Var-files are copied to /Programs/App/1.0/Resources/Defaults/Variable.
> - Var-files are copied to /System/Variable (with some sensible
> behavior regarding overwriting)
> - /Programs/App/1.0/Variable is removed, and becomes a symlink to
> /System/Variable.

** one correction.  It is /Programs/App/Variable.  No version.

I like it, mostly.  First off, deploying files into Variable.  We some
support with Recipe Resources/Defaults/Variable but I don't think its
implemented right.  Is that the right mechanism?  If so lets discuss
how it should work.

Second, is sharing in Variable really needed though?  If it isn't, I'd
prefer Variable be symlinks to /S/Variable based on Defaults/Variable.
 This keeps /P/App/Variable less cluttered and easier to navigate.
Conversely, at best /P/App/Variable will never be perfect so sharing
is much simplier.

Revised flow:

 - Programs install to /Programs/App/Variable.
 - Var-files are copied to /Programs/App/1.0/Resources/Defaults/Variable.
 - Copy Recipes's Resources/Defaults/Variable (all of Defaults?) over
/P/App/1.0/Resources/Defaults/Variable
 - /P/App/Variable cleared
 - Recurse /Programs/App/1.0/Resources/Defaults/Variable
      - Var-files are copied to /System/Variable (with some sensible
behavior regarding overwriting)
      - symlink /P/App/Variable to file in /System/Variable

This keeps the program specific Variable less cluttered.

--
Carlo J. Calica