[gobolinux-users] disappointed new user
albertwagner at cox.net
Tue Aug 16 19:40:16 GMT 2005
Just a note to the developers from a new user. I have just
downloaded and burned the iso image for 012. My personal opinion
is that this product is not yet ready for prime time:
(1) shutdown from within the cd system does not work.
(2) 640x400 sucks and I can see no way to change it.
* The KDE screen extends beyond my physical screen; the
KDE button is almost off-screen.
* Dialogs are larger than the screen and can only be viewed
in their entirety by resorting to continuous alt-drag.
* the font is a tiny blocky font that is unreadable.
i.e. the Live CD is unusable.
(3) I used the text mode installer because of the above problems
with LiveCD. The installer has no help and makes some really bad
assumptions. I attempted to install only the base package. I
have six linux partitions: swap, 2 SuSe, 1 LFS-5.0, 1 data, and
1 empty, Reiser formatted. The installer offered me no
opportunity to specify a partition and simply started to install
in partition 1. Luckily, that was not a linux partition or
greater damage could have been done before I managed to power
down. That a pretty blunt instrument to use to stop an install.
(4) The installer gave no indication what boot loader was being
used nor with what options, so I disabled it in the setup. I use
Grub. I hate to think what would have happened if I had let the
installation screw with my grub.
i.e. the Installer is unusable.
I have installed a variety of Linux distributions over the years,
starting with Red Hat 5.0. Over the last several years I have
used LFS exclusively. So I am not a total newbie. Perhaps I'll
check back later when more detailed documentation is available
that allows a totally manual install.
Blessed are the cracked:
For it is they who let in the light.
More information about the gobolinux-users