[gobolinux-users] disappointed new user

André Detsch detsch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 20:16:26 GMT 2005

On 8/16/05, Albert <albertwagner at cox.net> wrote:
> Just a note to the developers from a new user.
Seems a very useful report. So, thanks for this message :)

> I have just
> downloaded and burned the iso image for 012.  My personal opinion
> is that this product is not yet ready for prime time:

Although the lice CD has evolved a lot since the first GoboLinux
versions, we agree that there is a lot of polishing to be made on it.

> LiveCD
> (1) shutdown from within the cd system does not work.

Proceed, it gives a weird error when trying to run off or shutdown.
While we don't fix it, crt+alt+del may be used.

> (2) 640x400 sucks and I can see no way to change it.
>      * The KDE screen extends beyond my physical screen; the
>        KDE button is almost off-screen.
>      * Dialogs are larger than the screen and can only be viewed
>        in their entirety by resorting to continuous alt-drag.
>      * the font is a tiny blocky font that is unreadable.
> i.e. the Live CD is unusable.

Seems to be a problem in xorg.conf automatic creation. Two options:
skip the xorg.conf automatic creation (pressing 'esc' when 'Starting
X11 detection (<esc> to skip)' appears during the cd boot); or adjust
the /System/Settings/X11/xorg.conf file by hand.

> Install
> (3) I used the text mode installer because of the above problems
> with LiveCD. The installer has no help and makes some really bad
> assumptions.  I attempted to install only the base package.  I
> have six linux partitions: swap, 2 SuSe, 1 LFS-5.0, 1 data,  and
>   1 empty, Reiser formatted. The installer offered me no
> opportunity to specify a partition and simply started to install
> in partition 1.  Luckily, that was not a linux partition or
> greater damage could have been done before I managed to power
> down.  That a pretty blunt instrument to use to stop an install.

There is a screen where the target partition can be selected (the
second screen).

We plan to improve this screen to allow selection of different /Users
partition, but in 012, the only option given by the installer is to
place everything in a single partition (so, you have to move and
adjust fstab if you want to have your files spread over different
partitions).

In order to stop the installation, did you tried 'crtl+c'?

> (4) The installer gave no indication what boot loader was being
> used nor with what options, so I disabled it in the setup.  I use
> Grub.  I hate to think what would have happened if I had let the
> installation screw with my grub.

Adding lines in a existing grub configuration is a nice feature not
yet implemented. Changes would be made in a single script: GenGrubMenu
(which is inside ConfigTools package). By now, some explicit editing
is necessary to deal with more than one Linux installation. Is there
some distro that has implemented that feature?

> i.e. the Installer is unusable.
>
> I have installed a variety of Linux distributions over the years,
> starting with Red Hat 5.0.  Over the last several years I have
> used LFS exclusively. So I am not a total newbie. Perhaps I'll
> check back later when more detailed documentation is available
> that allows a totally manual install.

There is a /Depot/Docs/en_US/Installation which describes a manual
installation process (we prepared this file before we had the
installer available). You can try if nothing else works :)

--
Andre Detsch