[gobolinux-users] NVidia 1.0-7667 HOWTO to GoboLinux012 ?

teike teikecorp at yahoo.com.br
Tue Aug 16 22:32:49 GMT 2005

/_NVIDIA DRIVER:_/*

Does anyone have the NVidia 3D accelarated driver running on GoboLinux 012?*

I think I could solve it by just compiling the kernel 2.6.11.9 and then
running these commands:

strPkgVersion="Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1"
strPkgVersionPath="/Programs/Nvidia/Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1"
strKernelSource="/System/Kernel/Modules/`uname -r`/build"
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run
\

--expert
\

--accept-license
\

--no-backup
\

--no-network
\

--no-runlevel-check
\

--opengl-prefix="$strPkgVersionPath"
\

--installer-prefix="$strPkgVersionPath"
\

--utility-prefix="$strPkgVersionPath"
\

--x-prefix="$strPkgVersionPath"
\

--kernel-source-path="$strKernelSource"
\
  --kernel-install-path=/System/Kernel/Modules/`uname
-r`/kernel/drivers/video  \

--proc-mount-point=/System/Kernel/Status
\
  --log-file-name=/System/Variable/log/nvidia-installer.log
if(($?==0));then
  SymlinkProgram Nvidia "$strPkgVersion"
  modprobe nvidia
fi

Btw if added the option --add-this-kernel, it would be handy to provide
a custom .run package to GoboLinux012 users :)

_/PRE-COMPILED PACKAGE:/_

This package below seem outdated as it has the driver nvidia_drv.o that
cannot be loaded by kernel 2.6.xx that only loads modules with extension
like .ko as I researched.
http://www.kundor.org/gobo/packages/official/Nvidia--Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1--i686.tar.bz2

If I try 'insmod ./nvidia_drv.o' it says: insmod: error inserting
'./nvidia_drv.o': -1 Invalid module format

I also think these files that came with the kernel have no 3D
acceleration: nvidia-agp.ko and nvidiafb.ko(frame buffer?).
*
Is someone currently preparing the new pre-compiled package? :D*

_/KERNEL COMPILATION:/_

What make option or .config file GoboLinux 012 uses to compile the kernel?
On running 'make xconfig' I found out that several unchecked modules on
the 'default' configuration were available at
_'/System/Kernel/Modules/2.6.11.9-Gobo'_.
Btw I almost forgot how fun it is to configure the kernel options and
read all cool new (to me) stuff like 'zisofs' :D.

If possible, I would like to avoid the compilation of the kernel sources
2.6.11.9, I think it will take too long on my pentium II 350.
Despite I believe I may need it compiled sometime later for one or other
reason :/.
*I expect nothing that is already working on GoboLinux 012 stop working
after I enable the new kernel :(, any tips?*

*Is there a way I could join the pre-compiled kernel stuff from
_'/System/Kernel/Modules/2.6.11.9-Gobo'_ with the sources at
_'/Files/Compile/Sources/linux-2.6.11.9'_ so that NVidia installer
recognize it properly and continue its driver compilation (if that is
the problem...)? **or at least speedup the new kernel compilation,
**just a thought :D...
*

/_SEARCHING AT THIS MAILING LIST:_/

The search at
http://search.gmane.org/search.php?group=gmane.linux.distributions.gobo.general
seems very outdated, like the last month stuff is missing.
*Is there a way to perform a search for the newest mails?*

/__/Henrique