[gobolinux-users] Re: Problem with CUPS recipe/package

Jonatan Liljedahl lijon at kymatica.com
Wed Aug 17 17:41:34 GMT 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:05:05 +0200
Jan Moliè <mig at 1984.cz> wrote:

> I don't think that symlink /Programs/App/Variable to /System/Variable
> is  good.
> Now I can easily remove all application's variables.

Just as easily as you can remove a lot of important stuff in
/S/Settings... I don't see that as a problem. And Variable files are
almost always more or less temporary, it wouldn't even hurt much to
erase them.

> The solution is maybe unionfs. What about to store all application's
> data in /Programs/App/Variable and merge them to /System/Variable?
> I don't have any experiences with unionfs (just know that this should
> work but don't know how fast would it be, etc.)

That would of course be very cool, but if we can do that we should do it
for all the cases and use it instead of symlinks. i.e
/Programs/*/Current/bin/* could be merged to /Systems/Links/Executables
(or maybe /System/Union/Executables in that case).

/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-