[gobolinux-users] Re: Follow up to Tbird and FFox talking

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 20:08:46 GMT 2005

On 8/24/05, Albert <albertwagner at cox.net> wrote:
> I have finally solved(?) my problem with Tbird and FFox talking
> to each other.

That's great news. Did you get it to open in a new tab properly? My
knowledge on mozzilesque things is rusty, but IIRC there was a
--remote command-line option (or a mozilla-remote script, something
like that... I remember it had "remote" in the name :) ).

> The contributed package of FFox-1.0.6 is the odd
> man out.
>
> Here are my results:
>
> Package     source     talks    compiled by
> Tbird 1.0.2   gobo       yes       Mozilla
> Tbird 1.0.6   me         yes       Mozilla
>
> FFox  1.0.4   gobo       yes       Mozilla
> FFox  1.0.6   contrib    no        packager
>
> I am guessing that the packager of the gobo FFox 1.0.4 wrote the
>   special script in /Programs/FireFox/1.0.4/bin/firefox.

Yes, I have memories of talk here in the list about the bin/firefox script.

> The contributed package FFox 1.0.6 will not start a second
> instance of FFox, nor will it display links clicked in Tbird in a
> tab.

Yeah, it's not easy to do a "perfect build" of Firefox. It used to be
a lot worse, but there are still subtleties. I for one haven't
succeeded yet in building Firefox here in my work-in-progress
GoboLinux PPC. (And I couldn't find precompiled binaries either...)

> As a newbie to gobo/kde, that's about all I can offer. YMMV.

Thanks!!

-- Hisham