[gobolinux-users] Re: Settup up a printer

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Aug 26 17:40:33 GMT 2005

I should have mentioned that settings are on www.linuxprinting.org

> [...] I always felt printing in Linux was overcomplicated.

Me too. Things like pdq or WvPrint make it simpler, but I'm
sure we could take a wvprint-like approach and apply it to
a very simple spooler. Anyone want to help try?

> A curiosity: what's the 1% failure rate usually related to?

Stuff passing BSD lpr options which confuse ghostscript.

> The lack of a queue?

Well, your application just hangs until the printer's
finished if it opens lpr as a pipe. Sometimes a little
niggling if it's your web browser and a long print,
but it usually doesn't bother me. If something else is
printing, it will error, so it's light use only IMO.
(We're meant to be cutting down paper use to help the
environment, aren't we?)

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/