[gobolinux-users] Re: 'updatedb' to 'locate', an idea to system scripts

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 21:49:03 GMT 2005

On 8/28/05, Jonas Karlsson <jonka750 at student.liu.se> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:21:32 +0200, Hisham Muhammad <hisham.hm at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > I can only speak for myself, of course: I don't use locate.
> > Personally, I think the need for locate diminishes a lot in the
> > GoboLinux tree, compared to standard Linux trees. In a usual Linux
> > distro, a binary, library or header can be in one of many places. In
> > GoboLinux, we have the /System/Links tree that works like a natural
> > index: every binary is under /S/L/Executables, every library under
> > Libraries, etc. To know where exactly a program is (in other words,
> > which package it is a part of), I just do "l" (ls -l equivalent) to
> > see where does the link point to. For executables, the "which" command
> > is even more convenient.
> >

> How do you find documents? Or other files that are not linked in
> /System/Links

Oh, of course... :) I should have added the final bit "of course, for
searching in $HOME, for example, solutions like locate are
interesting".

Well, for my home directory and things like that, I'm usually
relatively organized, so either know where I put the stuff (ie, all
mp3 files nicely under /Depot/Music/Artist/Album :) ), or I just run
'find' (since it covers a small portion of the HD, it runs fast enough
for my needs).

Do you know how intrusive is the rlocate path? Is it
filesystem-independent? Sounds like a really nice thing to have.

> PS. I'll give beagle another go soon

Let us know how it goes.

-- Hisham