[gobolinux-users] users, groups, permissions, etc

Albert albertwagner at cox.net
Sun Aug 28 22:35:47 GMT 2005

David Smith wrote:
> Albert wrote:
>
>> David Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Albert wrote:
>>>
> [...]
>
>>> What user
>>> is specifies in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf?
>>

>> sys, if I read it right.
>>

> Actually, as someone pointed out some time ago on this list, cups
> probably has gobo compiled in as default user (stupidly enough).
> That could have been the problem since adding gobo to /etc/passwd
> helped.
>

>>> There should be /Programs/KDE-Graphics/Current in $KDEDIRS. It should be
>>> set by a file /Programs/KDE-Graphics/3.4.0/Resources/Environment like in
>>> several other KDE packages. It might be missing in KDE-Graphics.
>>

>> There was no Environment file in
>> /Programs/KDE-Graphics/3.4.0/Resources/, only Dependencies.
>> I added one containing only:
>>
>> export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIRS:/Programs/KDE-Graphics/Current
>>
>> but it is never invoked. The env command shows the following after a
>> reboot:
>

> Run SymlinkProgram KDE-Graphics after adding the file (to symlink it
> under /System/Links/Environment and update the environment cache).

Done.  I thought it might be a good idea to symlink CUPS also and
  got this:

SymlinkProgram CUPS 1.1.23
:
SymlinkProgram: Conflict: /System/Settings/cups/classes.conf
SymlinkProgram: Conflict: /System/Settings/cups/printers.conf
SymlinkProgram: Conflict: /System/Settings/cups/cupsd.conf

>> Sort of.  The failure due to permissions went away, but now it
>> fails because there are no pages.
>>

> Sorry, I have no idea about that. Are you using hp's printer driver
> hpijs?

I have no idea.  KDE offers only two generic deskjet drivers: HP
Deskjet Series and New HP Deskjet Series.  I have no idea where
they store their drivers and so wouldn't know where to put a new
one.