[gobolinux-users] Python mess

Albert albertwagner at cox.net
Tue Aug 30 20:01:36 GMT 2005

André Detsch wrote:
<snip>
> As suggested by MJ Ray sometime ago, we placed a
> /Programs/Python/2.4.1/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gobolinux.pth
> file inside Python package.
> It contains:
> /System/Links/Libraries/python2.4/site-packages/
> /System/Links/Libraries/python2.3/site-packages/
> which should be enough to find the python imports.
>

> Seems that Albert's problem is only related to Manager.
<snip>

Actually, Manager is a minor problem that is probably related in
that PyQt is involved, which also links stuff through python2.3.

My real problem was trying to run the ROX app Edit, which
complained that it couldn't find the gtk file, which, according
to the ROX NG means that "pygtk.py was found, but gtk-2.0
(another part of pygtk) wasn't."

My explorations found that *both* GTK+ 2.6.4 and Pygtk2 2.7.4
create a gtk-2.0 for insertion in the libraries:

/Programs/GTK+/2.6.4/lib/
		gtk-2.0/  <====================================
			2.4.0/
				engines/
				immodules/
				loaders/
/Programs/Pygtk2/2.7.4/lib
		pkgconfig/
		pygtk/
		python2.4
			site-packages/
				*.ls,*.so
			pygtk.pth
			pygtk.py
			pygtk.py0

I'm guessing that Edit finds the gtk-2.0 from GTK+ and misses the
gtk-2.0 in Pygtk.  I haven't a clue what to do about it.