[gobolinux-users] status

Carlo J. Calica carlo at calica.com
Sun Jan 9 04:21:51 GMT 2005

Andre Detsch wrote:

>On Friday 31 December 2004 16:05, Mika Pesu wrote:
>

>>i'd like to know what's the current status of GoboLinux? new release
>>coming soon?
>>

>We are going to work again in the ISO after January 17. Right now, the iso
>snapshot has some trouble regarding tmpfs and the like. Maybe replacing the
>kernel inside it will solve the problem, but, in the next two weeks,
>finishing the Msc Thesis is still the main priority :)

Do we have a list of pending features for the ISO?  Just want to target
me dev.  I'll be having more time now that the holidays are over.
Personal TODO package signing.  And syncing my tree to a current snapshot.

>>before i start downloading current iso,i'd like to know that is there
>>any chance to get current release installed to sata(via controller)
>>drive? by scsi emu? whats the kernel used in cd image?
>>

>As far as I know, 011 image does not recognize SATA drives correctly. I can't
>remember the details, but a guy at the University had some trouble trying to
>do that. Be sure we will try to fix this issue, and help on this will be
>appreciated. I think using scsi emulation is enough make things work, but
>cannot ensure this.

SCSI emulation was removed in 2.6.  Supporting SCSI (I think SATA is
handled by the scsi subsystem) needs an initrd that contains all the
kernel drivers.  It should also have a linuxrc script that loads the
appropriate driver, mounts the root partition and pivot_root's it.  You
can test all of that except the driver loading part.  There is a release
of hotplug for initrd's which you may want to look into.

I tried to do this on my first install.  After a day I gave up and
tossed a IDE drive in it.  I can help/test this.

>>willing to provide amd64 testing/development if i get the current
>>release installed.
>>

>Excellent!

Guess I'm getting a new computer soon.