[gobolinux-users] why gobo do not want to adopt any existing package manager?

Lucas Correia Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Sat Jan 22 20:30:18 GMT 2005

On Friday 21 January 2005 17:31, Mikolaj Habdank wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was wondering why gobo do not want to adopt any existing package
> manager? Recipes are easy and fun, but has no power needed by developers
> and user. I would like to see this features:

What power do you think Recipes are lacking for developers? It fits very fine
for my needs, even for cross stuff. Please talk more about that.

> profiles - an easy way to switch between diffrent compilers (3.3, 3.4
> etc) - it is very important for working with amd64 because there are
> diffrent problems with diffren compilers and i cannot say that any one
> of them is better.

You can use the cross-compiling feature of Compile. To do that, just install
your compiler at a given prefix (say, /Depot/Cross/x64) and create a file
called /System/Settings/Compile/Cross-x64.conf. To use it later, just call
"Compile -c x64 <program> [version]".
Give a look on Cross-ARM.conf to get an idea on how to create yours.

> md5 or another checksum for scanning installed packages (are they
> correct?), not only security scans but also scans for broken files (for
> example while instaling other packages - look at libGL)

Performing checksum for installed packages is not that safe. One can have
compiled a program with different switches, or even modified some
config/script files. This can be done for binary packages downloaded from the
site, though -- given that the user doesn't change anything inside it.

--
Lucas