[gobolinux-users] Compile chown "unknown user"

David Smith dsmith at algonet.se
Tue Jan 25 18:15:57 GMT 2005

Jonatan Liljedahl wrote:
> Installing program...
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/System/Variable/tmp/.FiboSandbox15164'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/System/Variable/tmp/.FiboSandbox15164'
> chown: `UNKNOWN:UNKNOWN': invalid user
> SymlinkProgram: Symlinking MjpegTools 1.6.2.
> SymlinkProgram: Symlinking global settings...
> SymlinkProgram: Symlinking tasks...
>
> There's also some similar error message just after "Installing program"
> message. But I never have the time to see it. (It would be nice if the
> last Compile session was always logged to a file too!)

The easy way: Compile XXX 2>&1 | tee logfile

If you want more info edit /Programs/Scripts/Settings/Scripts/Options
and add a line

logMode=Verbose

As to the chown problem, I believe the problem is that the source is
unpacked with the same uid it was packaged (which is quite likely to
be unknown :)). As mentioned, it looks like it has been changed in the
snapshots. I think the latest is

http://gobo.calica.com/packages/snapshots/Compile--1.2.3.20050117-detsch-1712--i686.tar.bz2

I haven't really used it much though.

--